Friday 19 September 2014

Windsor Castle

Today, we're off to Windsor Castle which isn't too far from our apartment by train. We waited at Whitton station for Angela, Joe and Eli who were already on the train from Richmond. Eli entertained us the whole way. His laugh is contagious- he's such a happy baby!

Walking out of the station, we looked up to see Windsor Castle towering above us. Feeling a little daunted, we started up the hill. At this point, I realised I should have brought my hiking sticks. Onward and upward. By the time we reached the top, I wanted to take the load off my feet, but I persevered enough to get through the state apartments and see the doll's house. Maybe it was my state of mind (read this as feet were killing me), but I didn't enjoy the castle as much as I thought I would. I just couldn't wait until I reached the end! To add insult to injury, firstly I was admonished for having a can of drink- sparkling water with a shot of pure lemon juice, so had to scull it, then for taking a photo- not of anything inside the rooms, but looking out through the window at the view!

Next, Ross suggested we go through St George's Chapel. I reluctantly agreed, but it was worth it. I enjoyed it much more than the state apartments. Ross bought me a book which I'll probably enjoy more, reading about the history of the apartments.

What goes up must come down and so we then had to walk all the way down the hill, all the while looking for a toilet! After being sent from pillar to post, given so many conflicting directions as to their whereabouts, finally found one- down two flights of stairs! At this point, we caught up with the rest of the family, and started looking for somewhere to have afternoon tea. I wasn't hungry- all I wanted was to sit down!

We found a place called The Crooked House of Windsor- it really was very crooked- and had a delicious afternoon tea. I chose "The Duchess of Bedfordshire" which consisted off freshly baked scones, jam and a generous serving of Cornish clotted cream accompanied by a very large cup of coffee. Enough fuel to get me back to the station. I don't even remember the train trip home- I was knackered, collapsed on the bed and thought I'd go to sleep but didn't really. After an hour or so, I felt revived, had a shower, poured myself a Zinfandel and made a small cheese platter for dinner while watching something on TV, either The Chase or University Challenge. I was going to stay up for Mastermind, but a huge wave of sleepiness came over me suddenly and I had to go to bed, or I would have fallen asleep on the lounge. I slept like  a log until after 3am, so am waking up later and later each day. I'll be back to normal by the time I have to leave for home!

No comments:

Post a Comment