Monday 22 September 2014

The Shard and Covent Garden

We've made bookings for brunch at the Aqua Shard restaurant 31 storeys high with a view all over London- not sure if it's higher than the Eye or not, probably is! There's some sort of disruption to train services today, so we had to catch a bus to Hounslow, then tube it from Hounslow East to Kings Cross St Pancras, then another tube to London Bridge- almost 2 hours in total. We arrived right on time with Joe and Angela and Eli only seconds behind us! Perfect timing!

It's 29 pounds if you just want to go to the viewing platform but 48 pounds for a 3 course brunch including a cocktail! We started with the cocktail,  a 31 ( named after the height of the restaurant I'm gathering) which was a delicious champagne cocktail made with English sparkling wine: 10 pound 50p if you wanted to buy an extra one. For entree, I chose lobster benedict- bit of a change to our eggs benedict at Scuzi- and looked so scrumptious I forgot to take a photo of it as is my habit. For mains, I chose rump steak with black pudding, mushrooms, tomato and poached egg. The black pudding was the best I've had, but the steak was a little tough! I forgot to take a photo of this too- my hunger overcame the need for photo- but managed to take a shot of my trifle for dessert. (See Facebook for photo.)

After brunch,  we headed off to Covent Garden via tube, where Ross and I found somewhere to sit at a bistro called Tuttons. The seats were comfy so I had an Old Rascal cider, while Ross drank a coffee. Then off to the "Bond in Action" exhibit just round the corner. Since I've only ever seen one bond film in my entire life (Skyfall), I thought I'd give it a miss and let Joe enjoy it with his dad. I returned to Angela and Eli and had fun with Eli watching the pigeons.

Ross and Joe returned and we headed off to SNOG, the frozen yoghurt chain, and indulged in our favourite with lots of berries. Angela suggested it was a nice walk across Waterloo Bridge so we walked down to the Strand and along the Strand to the Bridge. Ross didn't want to walk but I encouraged him saying "It'd be nice to see the sights from the bridge," so he reluctantly agreed. Nedd I say he was right? It was miles and miles (at least it felt like it with burning feet!), but we saw Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, the Eye, and the Shard, and all the river boats. We finally reached Waterloo Station and caught the train to Hounslow, where we fortunately managed to catch a bus right back to our apartment as my feet were now beyond any form of walking.

Ross ran a bath for me to prevent a repeat of the overflowing incident, after which I lay on the bed and fell asleep on my wet towel! I think I must have been exhausted as I completely missed dinner. So did Ross as he tells me this morning he fell asleep on the lounge. At least I made it to the bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment