Wednesday 24 September 2014

Brighton

After a day of rest and relaxation and a beaut barbie at Joe and Angela's, we headed off to Brighton. First the train to Clapham Junction, then change for the train to Brighton. Easy! We'll be there at 10.25 I message Rosa. An unforeseen problem with signals at Haywards Heath delayed our arrival by an hour and a quarter. After sitting for an hour in the train, everyone was transferred to another train which was standing room only, but there was no chance of falling over as we were in like sardines. A young girl offered me her seat, which I politely declined as I didn't think it could be far to Brighton. I'll accept next time- my feet were on fire by the time the train pulled into the station.

Ross recognised Rosa immediately: I was a bit slower. We headed towards the sea: Brighton Pier was the only thing I knew about Brighton, but there's so much more! Rosa took us there via the Lanes, the old fishing village section of town, where shops now occupy the fishermen's huts, and the streets are winding and narrow. I loved it! After a short walk, we came across Choccywoccydoodah, which Hannah said was worth a visit. What an understatement! We climbed the stairs to the cafe where we each had a different hot chocolate; more like a meal than a drink! I've never seen or tasted anything like it!

Then through more lanes to a courtyard with a pretty fountain, then down to the King's Road and on to the Pier. I was determined to walk to the end which I did! The Pier was all I imagined it to be. We loved the old music from the seventies and eighties which I always associate with places like this; Lido Shuffle, Xanadu and Walkin' on Sunshine to name a few. Ross dared me to go on the roller coaster at the end of the pier- is he crazy?

We strolled back to the foreshore where we enjoyed fish'n'chips at OhSoSocial, which Rosa had recommended as one of the few fish'n'chip places on the seafront that is delicious and reasonable priced. This is the value of seeing a place with a local! I ordered a Sol beer, but was brought a Heineken- I was so thirsty I could have drunk both! Ross had a passionfruit Rekorderlig, and Rosa had a Speckled Hen. Funny name for a beer!  The fish and chip meals were delicious too.

After dipping my toes in the pebbles (no sand here), we headed back to the Royal Pavilion gardens where we rested once again: this time for a coffee. Just a beautiful relaxing place to be; families and young people enjoying picnics on the lawns, a busker playing guitar, and a general sense of peacefulness.

Rosa left us here to enjoy the Royal Pavilion on our own. We went inside and checked out the first two rooms, but there was nowhere to sit so I decided to buy a book instead. Oh God, I hope Stacey doesn't read this. It was getting quite late so we decided we'd head back to the station to catch the train back to London. We arrived just on dark completely knackered, but what a wonderful day we'd had!

No comments:

Post a Comment